Thursday, October 16, 2008

Post It!

Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans - John LennonI think I am becoming a slave to organisation. Or at least to the quest of perfect planning. Not that my wife likes it, she objects to the bag being kept on a particular chair (closest to the door – helps when you have woken up late in the morning and are late to work), the bed compulsorily being made every single morning, even when all we do is get out of bed, run to office, run back and crash on that same bed.But I don’t listen. A day spent without planning is a day lost. Post-It is the biggest invention of mankind... ok, may be after ice cream, but then too, it is big enough. How else would we remember to keep the milk back in the fridge after it’s cooled? How do you know which is dhania powder and which is jeera, unless the identical jars have those friendly little stickers on them? (My wife here says that stickers cannot be friendly. Helpful, yes. But not friendly. Gah!) Post-It, O Post-It, you are the God of the modern day!Aaah, the joy of writing about Things To Do in those long narrow strips of paper! The more items to scribble, the merrier... and then, you can always count on the joy of scratching them off the next day! Single digit serial numbers make to double digits... and then to... no, one must not lie on a blog; I am yet to reach a three digit on the list of items. But on a particularly bad day, innovation always helps. Need to meet someone? That’s one item. Need to call him first to figure out his office address? That’s another item too.Where is the problem then? Ah! Let me get to that. The problem is in the To Do lists. I have To Do lists for the kitchen and the doodhwala and the istriwala. I have to do lists for the bank guy, for the broker we need to meet, for the couriers we need to send, and for the phone calls home we need to make. I even have lists for topic I plan to Google for, when I have time to kill. All separate. Did I forget anything? Ah, yes, I also have To Do lists for the business calls we need to make, the reports we need to read, and the forms we need to fill up.In fact, let me admit. I even have To-Do lists for To-Do lists. Now tell me, don't you think this makes life so much simpler?

No comments: